Option Care Health has been providing infusion services including enteral and parenteral nutrition support to patients nationwide for over 40 years. Our program ensures comprehensive patient care:
- Personalized treatment plans for every patient, adapted from American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) and other evidence-based guidelines.
- Coordinated care from hospital to home providing ongoing monitoring.
- Proactive patient evaluation, identifying potential complications in order to reduce hospitalization and healthcare costs.
Who needs nutrition support?
Sometimes, a person cannot eat or absorb nutrients normally. When this happens, nutrition must be provided in a different way:
- Enteral Nutrition (EN): By tube feeding, a special liquid food mixture containing protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins and minerals are delivered into the stomach or small intestine.
- Parenteral Nutrition (PN): The infusion of specialized nutrition through a vein (intravenously). Similar to EN, PN also contains all of the necessary protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins and minerals that a person needs.
It’s estimated that about 25,000 people are receiving PN and 437,000 people are receiving EN at home or in an alternate treatment site in the United States.1References:
1. Mundi MS, Pattinson A, McMahon MT, et. al. Prevalence of Home Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition in the United States. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2017;32(6):799-805.