Dining out at restaurants is a nice treat but also challenging when trying to stick with your therapeutic diet, especially with gastrointestinal diseases. Most restaurants have menus and nutritional information available online. Restaurants are not required to have nutrition information available if they have less than 20 locations. Follow these tips to navigate eating out if you have specialized nutrition needs.
- Research the menu online
- Pick a cuisine you tolerate
- Ask server for nutritional information or ingredients if not listed on the menu
- Do NOT be afraid to ask to customize the meal or ask for specific changes
- Communicate with wait staff if you have a food allergy or intolerance
- HAVE A PLAN AND STICK WITH IT!
Please visit Restore+ to learn more about the nutrition support services offered by Option Care Health.
*This material is for informational purposes only. It does not replace the advice or counsel of a healthcare professional. Please consult with your Registered Dietitian for more detailed, individualized information.